Assistant Web Content Contributor
Here are some simple recipes you can make in just a short time!
Banana Foster Recipe
1 pint vanilla ice cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup dark-brown sugar
1/4 cup dark or gold rum
3 bananas, peeled, halved crosswise and then lengthwise
- Set ice cream out to soften. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter, sugar, and rum over medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until smooth and bubbly, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add bananas, and cook, gently swirling skillet, until bananas are just warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Scoop ice cream into bowls, and top with bananas and caramel sauce. Serve immediately.
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 box chocolate wafers (9 ounces)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Divide mixture among small bowls, using one for each flavor. Stir in desired flavorings to taste, thinning with milk if needed.
- Spread half a box of chocolate wafers with a small amount of filling; top with remaining cookies. Press gently to spread filling to the edges.
Broiled Plums with Mascarpone Cream
5 medium black plums, halved and pitted
3 tablespoons brandy
6 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
1/4 cup mascarpone cheese or creme fraiche
1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat broiler. Place plum halves, cut sides up, in a single layer in an 8-inch square baking dish. Pour brandy evenly over plums, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar. Broil until plums are soft and sugar is caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put mascarpone, cream, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; beat until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. Top broiled plums with whipped mascarpone cream
Grilled Chocolate Sandwiches
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
4 large slices challah or Italian Bread, (cut 3/4 inch thick)
4 ounces thin semisweet chocolate bar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- In a large, shallow dish, whisk together eggs and milk; set aside.
- Form two sandwiches with the bread and chocolate (break chocolate as necessary to cover bread without extending over edges); dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture to coat.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat; transfer sandwiches to skillet. Cook, pressing occasionally with a spatula, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Cut in half, and dust with confectioners’; sugar before serving.
Berry and Ice Cream Shortcakes
- In a bowl, toss 1 cup raspberries and 1 cup blueberries with 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons orange juice; let sit for 5 minutes.
- Dividing evenly, serve 4 split biscuits with 1 pint vanilla ice cream and the berry mixture.