By Asia Daggs
Assistant Web Content Manager
I do not know about you guys, but all summer 16’ is something I can sum up in the words of Rihanna: nothing but work, work, work, work, work! Not only am I working to pay bills and take care of other adulting pains, but I plan on saving up in order to have spending money for cool activities such as concerts and vacation trips. Just like all of you, I constantly feel the need for new clothes, shoes, accessories and just about anything else you can think of. I encourage everyone to get a job of some sort and get to saving! There is nothing better than being able to provide for yourself and spend the hard earned money on anything you like. In this blog, I will be listing a few different ways to earn money and than backdoor it with a couple of fun ideas to spend your money on.
It is quite obvious that everyone can go out and find work at various places. However, not everyone can work just at any job. If you are not much a people person, maybe jobs with minimum contact with other people would be best for you; such as answering services or stock and receiving for a company. If you are an outgoing, friendly person than you can try out waiting tables or working as a desk receptionist. If you haven’t had any luck getting hired or just do not have a clue where to start, here our a few ideas that might work for you:
- Waiter/Waitress: There are a lot of waiter and waitresses that complain about all of the cons that come from bussing tables, but on the bright side you get to go home with tips from each shift!
- Retail: Working in retail can be tedious and downright annoying, but it is a somewhat chill and relax way to make money. It is super easy to walk around folding clothes and serving as a stylist for your customers.
- Mowing lawns or yard work: This might sound silly and straight out of a movie, but it is the real deal. I have several friends who mow lawns for multiple homeowners on their free weekends. Just imagine your pay if you mow multiples yards a day and charge depending on the size of the work; you will be raking in the money leaves!
Okay now that the job hunting section is taken care of, let’s get to the fun part. Planning trips is one of my favorite things to do! I am currently trying to get one together for a convention in California that is happening in a few months and I need major funds. I believe that if I work hard and spend my own earned money on this trip it will be even more rewarding! Summer time is the perfect break to explore around and have fun without having to worry about school work, bad weather and whatever else that may hold you back. These proposals are mainly from my interests, but hopefully at least one of these interest you guys.
- Concerts: I firmly believe that money spent on concerts is money well spent. The experience and memories you take from the shows are priceless! Go ahead and find out when your favorite artist will be in a city near you…
- Road Trips: Who doesn’t enjoy a peaceful road trip? Your jaunt does not have to be out of the state to be considered fun; it does not matter if it is 40 or 4,000 miles away! Get your best friends, a full tank of gas and roll out.
- Splurge: Have you ever heard the phrase ‘Shop until you drop’? If yes, then you know where I am heading with this… A very efficient way of spending money is hitting up the mall and treating yourself to some nice things that make you happy.
Get out there and splurge!! You deserve it. Always remember that we aren’t promised another day on this Earth, so make sure you are truly living life. Set up road trips, family vacations or have parties… Do whatever makes you happy and brings a smile to those around you. I really do hope my suggestions sparked any interests or even helped you confirm your plans. I hope everyone is having a great summer so far!