By Austin Cowan
Blog Content Contributor
Stress is an unfavorable emotion which a lot of people find hard to avoid. Stress can cause a person to worry too much, have random freak out attacks or just flat out ruin their day. As a current college student working two jobs and moving into a new apartment, I empathize with stressful people. Life is way too busy and precious to allow stress to interfere. Luckily for us, there are ways to combat this annoying emotion. Here are some ways to counter stress:
- Your pet
- Pets are the best. They are always there for their owners and can be very comforting. My dogs help me relax when I get home (as long as they did not get into the trashcan). Animals are great and can be a person’s best friend. Give your pet a squeeze next time you see each other. Odds are you both will like the little attention.
- Take a break.
- This is a simple solution which can prove to be very affective. During mass study seasons, or long hours working at my desk, taking five-to ten-minute breaks every hour help me to work longer hours of the day without sacrificing the quality of my work. Next time you are feeling angry at your computer when Google won’t instantly pull up the information you need or you just cannot find the right vocabulary word in your book just sit back for a moment and relax. Do not relax too long though, there is still work to be done.
- Explore your religion.
- For a person who follows a certain religion they may find their church to be very comforting. Stress causes a person to feel as if they have lost control but religion can help a person believe that everything will be alright. People like to feel safe and religion can provide security.
- Go on a vacation.
- Sometimes stress accumulates just from work, school and daily life. Taking a vacation is a great way to counter stress. If you live away from your friends and family go visit them. Getting back to ones roots is relaxing and enjoyable. If you live at home than go try something new. A vacation does not need to be a trip across the country, a daytrip downtown or to the surrounding countryside will work just find.
- Go Outside
- The Great Outdoors is a classic way to limit stress. Going on a walk is a great way to clear one’s head. Now for people who do not like bugs going outside may be stressful. However, for nature lovers going on hikes after work is a cheap and easy way to just enjoy life in its rawest for. If you are stressed out and want to calm down get off the couch and walk outside.
- Literately Stop and Smell the Roses
- Sometimes stopping and smelling the flowers can relieve stress. Pleasant smells make people happy so go smell a flower. If you do not love the smell of flowers then go smell something you enjoy. When you are stressed out just stop where you are and find a favorable scent, wither it is flowers, coffee or bacon smelling a good smell is a good way to combat stress.
There is many more ways to counter stress then the ones listed above. Stress is an enemy who likes to appear when life is at its worst. Good thing there is so many ways to prevent stress from coming around.