By Claire Hansen
Blog Content Contributor
Every year, we see more and more pointless movies and sequels that we didn’t need hit the theaters. It might cause you to wonder, “What has this industry turned into?” With technology allowing us to turn our imaginations into a reality on screen, films can often turn out to be more about the special effects than the story. However, with works from many great directors heading our way next year, including Steven Spielberg, many find a perfect balance between the two. Here’s a few that may be deserving of a movie date soon:
Sequels / Remakes
- Pacific Rim Uprising: After the heated intensity of robots versus monsters in the first Pacific Rim, I think we can expect the next one to be just as insane. The madness will begin in March.
- The Incredibles 2: It’s about time! The Incredibles return after a 14-year hiatus to tell the story of Jack-Jack’s childhood, after the first film leaves off with the discovery of the newborn’s special abilities.
- The Predator: The fourth movie to feature the Predator characters, 2018’s rendition will take us on a military rescue mission through the Latin American jungle.
- Mary Poppins Returns: Supercalifragil… you remember. The whimsical nanny is back for a sequel, not a remake, of the original Mary Poppins from 1964. With Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton) and Meryl Streep in the cast, this movie has lots of potential.
- Tomb Raider: Lara Croft, played by Alicia Vikander this time around, is fierce as ever and ready for new challenges. With cinematic effects and action scenes to the max, this remake by Warner Bros. will draw in audiences of all demographics.
- Ready Player One: Sci-fi fans, rejoice! This new film by Steven Spielberg, set in apocalyptic Columbus, Ohio during the year 2045, takes viewers into a virtual reality world called the “OASIS”. Bonus: It’ll be shown in 3D and IMAX!
- Red Sparrow: Jennifer Lawrence returns for a saucy role in this new movie filled with all sorts of sinful entertainment. Her character, Dominika Egorova is recruited by a Russian agency for “Sparrow School” where she is forced to use her body as a weapon.
- Slender Man: The freakishly tall man we’re all secretly terrified of has come to haunt us in cinematic form now. I’m sure this one will be hyped up quite a bit, but who knows if it will live up to expectations! We’ll find out in May.
- The Post: Starring Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, this drama focuses on the Washington Post’s role in exposing the Pentagon Papers in 1971.
- Molly’s Game: This movie tells the true story of Molly Bloom, a skier who found herself running the world’s most exclusive, high-stakes poker game for over a decade before being arrested by the FBI.
With movies these days turning out to be such a hit or miss, who knows what 2018 will bring to the big screen! So far, though, it seems like there will be at least a few titles to check out in the coming months at our local theaters like The SPOT and Starplex!
Featured image by Claire Hansen.