By Camelia Juarez
Assistant News Director
Pro-life supporters from the Austin community gathered at the state capitol Saturday to fight for the lives of the unborn. The 2018 Texas Rally for Life commemorated the 45th Anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision in 1973.
Mothers, fathers, men and women stopped traffic and marched up South Congress from City Hall to the state capitol to defend the lives of the unborn. At the Capitol a series of speakers gave speeches, including keynote speaker Governor Greg Abbott.
Abbott said, “We will continue to defend the unborn and give a voice to the voiceless…. we will give every child a chance at life.”
Speakers included the authors and sponsors of SB 8 which was an anti-abortion law passed in 2017, religious leaders and pro-life activists. Many of the speakers promoted the audience to go to Planned Parenthood and other abortion clinics to persuade women to choose life.
Sarah Zarr, leader of the Students for Life of America, a pro-life activist amongst college students said, “We are the pro-life generation!”
Many protestors expressed their discontent with Roe v. Wade with signs such as: “Defund Planned Parenthood”, “No-one should be killed because they are inconvenient”, “Unborn Lives Matter”. The rally ended with a prayer lead by Dr. Joe Pojman, Texas Alliance for Life.
Below is a complete list of speakers:
- State Senator Charles Schwertner, author of SB 8.
- State Representative Cindy Burkett, sponsor of SB 8.
- Most Reverend Joe Vasquez, Bishop of Catholic Diocese of Austin.
- Reverend Tom Goodson, Pastor of Hillcrest Baptist Church.
- Abby Johnson, former Planned Parenthood director and founder and CEO of And Then There Were None.
- Sarah Zarr, Students for Life of America.
- Deborah McGregor, Care Net Pregnancy Center of Central Texas.
- Dr. Brian and Kathy Seastrunk, San Antonio Coalition for Life.
- Dr. Joe Pojman, Texas Alliance for Life.
Feautred photo courtesy of UIW Ministry via Twitter.
Protesters pictured are from the 2017 Rally for Life.