By Ally Bolender
Assistant Web Content Manager
March 13, 2020-10:26 p.m.
SAN MARCOS, Texas — Texas State University, Texas State University President Denise Trauth and Texas Governor Greg Abbott provided statements and updates regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
The Office of the Governor sent out a release requiring that all state agencies cancel non-essential travel and all international travel. All state agency-related conferences are postponed until further notice. In addition, Abbott encourages minimal in-person meetings.
He asked all state agency heads “to consider how to effectively utilize telecommuting” so state employees can work remotely. State government must “ensure that essential state functions are provided,” wrote Abbott.
Texas State University immediately cancelled all non-essential university-sponsored travel for 30 days. The university plans to send updates and revised timeframes as the situation develops.
In addition, the university encourages students to reconsider personal travel plans in order to limit exposure to COVID-19.
Texas State University President Trauth notified faculty, staff and current students about the travel restrictions this afternoon.
“I am meeting with my Cabinet this afternoon to determine how this requirement will impact Texas State University,” said Trauth. “I will keep you updated on decisions related to this matter.”
For more information regarding COVID-19 and Texas State University, view the University’s statements on their website.
By KTSW News
March 13, 2020-2:02 p.m.
SAN MARCOS, Texas — As Texas enacts measures to encourage social isolation and reduce the risk of community spread, many events all around the state are being affected.
Last week, the city of Austin suspended all activity related to South by Southwest. It was the first in a series of events that have been affected by the response to the virus’s spread. Events in Texas that have been cancelled or postponed also include the MotoGP race at Circuit of the Americas, the Houston Rodeo and Fiesta San Antonio, which is being postponed until November.
Fiesta San Antonio Commission President Jeanie Travis said the commission is keeping safety as the priority for all decisions made regarding the event.
“We have concluded that the tradition of fiesta must continue, but on different dates,” Travis said in a statement posted on the official Fiesta twitter. “The unknown health risks for celebrating Fiesta in April require a postponement until fall.”
As of today, Governor Gregg Abbott declared a state of disaster in Texas. The state has been hit with over 30 confirmed cases and over 50 people are awaiting the results of their tests. The city of Austin announced today that they are monitoring two presumed positive cases of COVID-19 in Travis county.
As of now, events in San Marcos like Bobcat Build and KTSW’s Other Side Live will go on as scheduled, and this page will be updated as new information comes forward.
Featured graphic by Lauren Jurgemeyer.